March 13, 2023
Join the Mentor Canada team as the Director of Marketing & Communications
About Mentor Canada
Mentor Canada broadens and deepens access to quality mentoring for youth in Canada by amplifying a mentoring mindset from coast to coast to coast. With a mission to enable mentoring relationships that encourage young people to reach their full potential through research, network building, and knowledge exchange.
Mentor Canada provides cutting-edge resources and capacity-building services to communities and organizations that embrace mentoring as a strategy to empower individuals and help them thrive. We convene, lead and participate in gathering, connecting and mobilizing people, knowledge and resources to amplify youth mentoring in Canada. As the only national body dedicated to supporting and building capacity for mentoring, Mentor Canada works alongside governments, the private sector, schools, and community organizations at local, provincial, and national levels, to build a world-class mentoring ecosystem, particularly for youth facing barriers in Canada.
We have an immediate opening for a Director, Marketing & Communications. This position is remote and offers an attractive competitive salary and benefits package.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director, Marketing & Communications will drive Mentor Canada’s new strategic direction with all partners, donors, and stakeholders. This position is responsible for developing tools to engage stakeholders across sectors, including but not limited social media campaigns, media relations, thought leadership, and establishing an annual National Mentoring Summit, Power of Mentoring events, and National Mentoring Month. This position will work across the organization to promote the brand and service offerings to new stakeholders and strengthen the relationship with existing stakeholders. This position will lead national campaigns to promote and advocate for mentoring, thought leadership, and recruit public ambassadors to further highlight the intrinsic value of mentoring in Canada. The Director, Marketing & Communications will work closely with and supervise the work of the Manager, Communications to effectively deliver all marketing and communications initiatives.
- Create the annual marketing, communication, and social media plans
- Collaborate on designing the donor journey, communication and engagement
- Develop and oversee the implementation of organization brand guidelines
- Identify areas of impact and how to showcase it to funders and stakeholders
- Create content: writing and editing
- Develop and implement national, regional and local media advertising in key markets
- Manage website design, maintenance and content
- Develop marketing plans and visibility opportunities
- Execute communications related to fundraising, corporate engagement, awareness campaigns and special projects
- Execute National Mentoring Month campaign, collateral and strategic direction
- Oversee social media community management, analysis and reporting
- Prepare content for media appearances
- Develop and execute media announcements, press releases, and campaigns
- Develop compelling presentation tools
- Coordinate development of marketing materials, graphics and visuals (in some cases manage in house, in others, oversee outsourcing)
- Coordinate translation (in some cases manage in house, in others, oversee outsourcing)
- Support development and fundraising
- Monitor and stay abreast of communication and social media trends Prepare marketing and communications reports
- With the Communications Manager, manage the communications budget
Required Education, Skills and Experience
- Graduate or undergraduate education in communications, marketing or a related field
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working in communications and/or marketing
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills in English; Bilingual proficiency in French language is desirable and an asset.
- Creative, with strong storytelling and communication skills relevant for a charity
- Knowledge of communications best practices; able to support other organization team members to identify and effectively communicate key messaging, prepare for public speaking engagements, media appearances, etc.
- Experience and knowledge of best practices for different communications mediums; experience managing a variety of different mediums at once.
- Strong knowledge and experience with social media and online community engagement, including analytics and SEO.
- Committed to anti-racism, anti-oppression, equity, and empowerment of historically disadvantaged and equity deserving groups.
- Strong prioritization and project management skills.
- Ability to multitask and work under tight deadlines.
- Robust IT skills, including Microsoft office.
- Ability to use online design tools such as Canva, and other key software solutions related to high calibre communications and marketing.
- Experience working at a membership-based organisation.
- Experience working in non-profit or charity.
- A team player who exhibits and embraces Mentor Canada’s values.
Mentor Canada is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We sincerely appreciate your interest in this opportunity and thank you for responding. Mentor Canada will only contact those candidates being considered for an interview. By submitting your resume, you agree to Mentor Canada sharing your information with representatives of the organization responsible for the hiring process. Mentor Canada will keep your resume on file and protect your personal information in accordance with governing privacy legislation.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 3 months
Salary: $70,000.00-$80,000.00 per year
- Monday to Friday
- Communications/Marketing: 5 years (preferred)
Work Location: Remote